CandleScience is the leading online supplier of candle and soap making supplies. We create and distribute naturally focused products to handcrafting hobbyists (think Pinterest) and small candle companies (think Etsy).
We are hiring a Senior Ruby Developer to work on our e-commerce and warehouse system. The right candidate will have an incredibly high attention to detail and desire to build for the long term. We are looking for a creative problem solver who is comfortable with a high level of responsibility and freedom. Picky people love working here.
This job is located at the CandleScience office in downtown Durham, NC.
As a Senior Developer, here's what you can do:
- Work on a large e-commerce Rails app with many Open Source components.
- Lead a team of software engineers.
- Be responsible for the quality of software and resolving any client satisfaction issues.
- Mentor less experienced developers.
- Employ Agile development, including task estimation and test automation, to improve overall execution speed and product quality.
- Learn something new every day.
- Speak at conferences.
- Think through hard problems and work with a team to make the solutions a reality.
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, transparent, non-hierarchal, and ego-free culture where your talent is valued over a title.
Here’s what you’ll bring:
- Thorough development and delivery experience with Ruby, Postgres, Redis.
- Passion for software engineering and craftsman-like coding prowess.
- Experience developing large custom-built, object-oriented applications.
- Great OO skills, including strong design patterns knowledge.
- Experience working with Agile, Lean and/or Continuous Delivery approaches and best practices, such as Extreme Programming (XP).
- Knowledge of software best practices, like TDD, BDD and continuous integration.
- Experience working in a forward thinking, OSS-centric environment.
- Competitive salary
- Industry leading medical, dental, and vision insurance
- IRA with employer match
- Life Insurance
- Short and long-term disability
- Three weeks PTO plus a minimum of 9 company holidays
- Discounted YMCA membership
- Annual technology bonus
Why Work at CandleScience
We offer a unique opportunity to have the best of both worlds — the excitement of a startup and the financial stability of a proven company:
- Great culture: Work in the heart of downtown Durham on a small team with a flexible, fun environment.
- Strong stability: CandleScience has a 12-year track record of 28% annualized growth with no outside investment.
- Plenty of variety: Experience the wide-open opportunities and complex problems of a young company, but in a culture committed to work-life balance, great pay and insane benefits.
How to Apply
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- A letter with some background about your programming career
- Links to github or other source code repositories
- Other examples of your work if possible